Travelers can dial 5-1-1, - 1 (877) MY-GA-511 - (694-2511) or use the following resources to receive free travel information. In the event of an evacuation, message boards will be setup to alert motorists about exit ramp closures/openings as well as locations for gas, food, etc. Signs will alert the public to selected FM radio stations for weather and traffic updates. If necessary, Georgia DOT HEROs will patrol the interstates to assist motorists and respond quickly to accidents and disabled vehicles.
Hurricane Prep Tips from ready.gov
- Know what to do before, during, and after a hurricane.
- Prepare before hurricane season starts. Pacific hurricane season starts May 15 and Atlantic hurricane season starts June 1.
- Create an emergency communication plan with your family before a hurricane.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Check your insurance coverage, damages caused by flooding are not covered under normal homeowner’s insurance policies.
- Know your local community’s evacuation plan and evacuation routes and how to receive alerts.
- Listen to local officials.