Building FAQs

Permits are the way the City of St. Marys regulates construction and protects the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction.  They are designed to ensure that all construction in the city is safe and meets construction codes.  The department conducts inspections of construction projects in compliance with the International Code Council codes and local codes and ordinances.  By obtaining permits and following code guidelines, your completed project will meet set standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends and future owners.

A permit is required for any new construction, remodeling, additions, swimming pools, house moving, demolition and manufactured homes.  The builder is required to purchase the permit and request the appropriate inspections.  Inspections can be called in at (912) 510-4032.

 1.  Do I need a building permit to put a storage shed in my back yard?  One story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, etc provided the floor area does not exceed 200 sq. ft., is not on a permanent foundation, has no electrical, plumbing, HVAC or gas connections does not require a building permit.

2.  Does painting, roofing (replacing shingles), tiling, carpeting, installing cabinets, counter tops and other finish work require a building permit?  They do not require a building permit.  However anyone hired to do work in St. Marys, is required to have a Georgia Occupational Tax license from the city or county their business is located in.

3.  Do I need a building permit to replace my hot water heater or water softener?  A plumbing permit is required.  The permit fee is $50.

4.  Do I need a building permit to construct a fence?  If your fence is higher than 7', a building permit will be required.

5.  Do I need a building permit to construct a deck?  If the deck exceeds 200 square feet in area, is more than 30" above grade at any point, is attached to a dwelling or serves as an exit door required by Section R311.4, a building permit will be required.

6.  How can I verify if a contractor is licensed in the state of Georgia? You can verify whether a contractor is licensed in the state of Georgia at the Secretary of State website.  Also, all contractors are required to provide a copy of their Occupational Tax license prior to the Building Department issuing a building permit.

7.  What is a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?  A Certificate of Occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.  It is the responsiblity of the contractor or homeowner to make sure all inspections are called in to be completed.  Once all inspections are completed and approved, the Building Department will issue you a Certificate of Occupany.