Oak Grove Cemetery
The Historic Oak Grove Cemetery was laid out in 1788 and draws visitors from all over the world, whether they are looking for ancestors, studying history or just looking for a tranquil walk to get away from the pressures of life.
Soldiers from all of our country's wars rest in peace under moss-wrapped oaks, azaleas and camellias. The tragedies and triumphs of lives lived in St. Marys are represented in the beautiful inscriptions engraved on the stones of yellow fever victims and those of the French Arcadians who were driven out of Nova Scotia in a horrendous fashion and have finally found a home here on the banks of the St. Marys River. Statesmen and craftsment, plantation owners and slaves, now all together, draw a picture of an earlier time when life was simpler and everyone knew their neighbors and considered them friends.
Oak Grove Cemetery is owned by the City of St. Marys and operated by the Oak Grove Cemetery Authority. For requests of lot purchases, planned burials or installations of markers, contact Marsha Klecan, in the Finance Department, at (912) 510-4020.
The Cemetery is open from sunrise to sunset.